Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Firehouse

In the days leading up to the anniversary of September 11th and on the morning of September 11th I spent time with some very special people. My local firehouse has become one of my favorite places. The guys I’ve met there are such real people. They argue, bicker and cuss at each other but they always have each other’s back. Then they race into a burning building to rescue people they don’t even know and who many others wouldn’t even care about Then they go back to their house and argue and bicker and cuss again. They perform this community service not because of the money and bennies (thought they aren’t bad). They do it because their dad or uncle or grandfather was a firefighter. They do it to keep the legacy going. Their families have ingrained in them a sense of service and this compels them to literally put their lives on the line. They actually love doing it. They want to be part of the action. I’ve decided I need to be more like these real life heroes. I am 47 years of age and I want to be firefighter.
Dave Watson - An Urban Christian

No comments: